Click to Visit nothinglabs.com           

Monday, April 22, 2013

Money Shredding Alarm Clock

A while back I fumbled into Acid Cow's idea for a Money Shredding Alarm Clock.

I figured turning the concept into reality shouldn't be too hard.

All I needed was a few main parts:

SparkFun's ClocKit
A USB Powered Paper Shredder
TIP120 Darlington Transistor
(I also used an Atmel AVR programmer I already had)

Surprisingly the ClocKit managed to use every single pin on the Atmega328 it runs on - leaving me without an obvious control pin for the shredder.

I noticed that two I/O pins were being used for the alarm buzzer - which seemed unnecessary. I reconnected one of the buzzer pins to ground - and the buzzer continued to work fine - freeing up the needed pin to connect the TIP120 to.

About 30 seconds worth of code changes - and my alarm clock was working!

I swapped in a larger 5v / 1 amp power supply after seeing a "reboot" when the shredder fired up (probably voltage sag). Seemed to address the issue.

Tip - check the voltage on wallwarts with a multimeter before connecting them to anything sensitive like a microcontroller. A cheap 5v wallwart might put out closer to 8v unloaded.

The source code is up on Github - but the changes are so minimal - you may just want to start off with Sparkfun's code.

Click here to see a live demo of this project I did on Fox Business news!

9 comments:

  1. Using two pins on a buzzer is often done to increase its apparent voltage. On the first cycle you apply Pin1:VCC, Pin2:GND. On the second cycle you invert that to Pin1:GND, Pin2:VCC. The buzzer will be louder than simply switching one pin on and off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    your blog gives me useful information. Home security is a major issue now a time. find out more about security of home.
    Please visit our well defined website.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really amazing invention! Shredding money will be a waste if you don’t get up after the alarm rings, but I guess that’s what would make you want get up! It’s a actually a good driving force to get up ASAP because you literally have to save your money! I am truly amused by this!

    Ruby Badcoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for making a device that makes the user a criminal. It's against the law to destroy US dollars (or any US currency).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments waste space.
      Youtube misses you.

      Delete
  5. I can see buying this for someone, but not for myself! I love the idea but would hate to lose any money :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Market Glory - Play free economic and military simulator.
    Can you really combine business with pleasure, changing
    virtual currency into real money and to withdraw, thus obtaining an income online
    with zero investment
    If you want to try, you can subscribe here:
    http://www.marketglory.com/strategygame/alyc1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I visited your blog and I see very interesting your article is very remarkable

    ReplyDelete